Hall of Fame Awards
The Army Women’s Foundation recognizes the extraordinary achievements of Army women and those who support them.
The Army Women’s Foundation Hall of Fame Awards are presented to women who have contributed extraordinary service to the Army or the Armed Forces and any individual who has made exceptional contributions to women in the Army or the Armed Forces.
Most inductees are women who have served in the U.S. Army, but the list of honorees also includes Brig. Gen. Wilma Vaught, USAF Ret.
Hall of Fame Awards were first presented in 2009, and have been presented each year since then.
Hall of Fame Inductees
Army Women’s Foundation Hall of Fame Awards are presented each March on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.
Since the creation of the Hall of Fame in 2009, the Army Women’s Foundation has inducted into its Hall of Fame:
- FEMALE FIRSTS Award: LTG Patricia Horoho, USA, Ret.
- COL Arlene Greenfield, USA, Ret., (posthumously)
- 1SG Genevieve Chase, USAR
- 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion
- COL Jill Chambers, USA, Ret.
- CSM Mary Sutherland, USA, Ret. (posthumously)
- The Army Distinguished Flying Cross Recipients:
- 1st Lieutenant Aleda E. Lutz, USA
- 1st Lieutenant Roberta Schilbach Ross, USA
- Chief Warrant Officer 3 Lori Hill, USA
- Staff Sergeant Julia Stalker, USA (accepted by)
- Female Firsts Award:
- Colonel Sally Murphy, USA, Ret.
- The 14th WAC Band: America’s Last All-female Military Band
- The Silver Star Recipients:
- 1LT Mary Roberts, USA
- 2LT Elaine Roe, USA
- 2LT Rita Virginia Rourke, USA
- 2LT Ellen Ainsworth, USA (posthumously)
- SGT Leigh Ann Hester, USA
- SGT Monica L. Brown, USA
- Female Firsts Award:
- CSM Michele Jones, USA, Ret., Office of the Chief, U.S. Army Reserve
- Army Women who served in the Korean War
- Gen. Ann Dunwoody, USA, Ret.
- CSM Yzetta Nelson, USA, Ret. (posthumously)
- SGM Carolyn James, USA, Ret. (posthumously)
- Army Women who served in Vietnam
- SGM Grace Mueller, USA, Ret.
- Women of West Point, Class of 1980
- BG Wilma Vaught, USAF, Ret.
- LTC Tammy Duckworth, ARNG
- CSM Cynthia Pritchett, USA, Ret.
- BG Evelyn Pat Foote, USA, Ret.
Hall of Fame Selection Criteria
Hall of Fame inductees are selected using the following:
- A woman soldier whose military service reflects extraordinary dedication, valor, patriotism and contributions to our country.
- Any individual who has had a direct and exceptional impact on Army women. Service in the Army is not required for such recognition.
- Noteworthy service or contributions to Army/Armed Forces service women.
- Commitment to honoring the service and sacrifice of Army/Armed Forces women.
- Service as a role model or mentor that demonstrates dedication to the advancement and welfare of Army/Armed Forces women.
- Nominations are presented to the Army Women’s Foundation and judged by a Committee established by the Foundation President.
- Awards are presented in March at the annual Army Women’s Foundation Hall of Fame Reception on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.